Zinc die casting is used to manufacture metal parts for a wide range of applications. Die casting offers an ideal method for producing sturdy parts with a long service life within reasonably short production windows. Zinc alloys are some of the easiest metals to die cast and offer superior strength-to-weight ratios over many other die casting metals.
At DyCast Specialties Corp., we excel at producing zinc die cast components. As a hands-on, family-owned company, we have always provided our customers with a one-on-one relationship and a willingness to go that extra mile. Our responsive, personalized service and support sets DyCast Specialties apart from our competitors. That’s how we’ve done business since the beginning.
The Many Benefits of Zinc
Die casting with zinc alloys offers numerous benefits over other types of metals, including:
- Great corrosion resistance. Zinc is highly resistant to corrosion, making it ideal for use in corrosive environments.
- Easily plated. The reliable adhesion offered by zinc makes it well-suited for finishing processes such as plating, painting, and powder coating.
- Excellent conductivity. Zinc features improved thermal and electrical conductivity over many other metals.
- Better castability when compared to aluminum. Because zinc allows for less draft and thinner walls than aluminum, it offers better overall castability.
- Complex shapes with thinner walls. Zinc forms parts with complex shapes and thinner walls than aluminum and other metals.
- Recyclable. Zinc castings are 100% recyclable, making zinc a preferred material for eco-friendly die casting.
- Superior finishing characteristics. Zinc allows for high-quality finishing, including maximum aesthetic appeal.
- Longer die life with minimal maintenance. Zinc alloys cause minimal wear on the die during the casting process, facilitating a longer overall service life for the die.
- Excellent RFI/EMI shielding capabilities. Net-shaped zinc housings and thinner walls provide superior shielding properties.
- Superior mechanical & physical properties. Die cast zinc offers excellent tensile strength and dimensional stability.
There are various types of zinc alloys suitable for die casting. These alloys are typically divided into two categories: hybrid and standard.